I went home to Oslo for a few days last week, as it was my cousin’s confirmation over the weekend. The evening before the confirmation we had several family member over for dinner. I decided to make these stuffed aubergine rolls for an appetizers. I do not tend to try out new recipes when I am having guest over, but luckily these turned out really well. These aubergine rolls stuffed with spinach and ricotta cheese, is a spin on Italian “melanzane alla Parmigiana” and makes a delicious creamy vegetarian bake. These stuffed aubergine rolls is one of those recipes you should save for a evening when you invite family or friends over for dinner. The recipe is a bit complicated to make, but it is definitely worth the effort.
( makes approximalty 20 rolls).
2 large aubergines
250 gram ricotta
400 gram spinach
1 garlic ( crushed).
1 tin canned tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
a small handful fresh basil
1 tbsp oregano
- Heat oven to 200 C.
- Use a brush and brush both sides of the aubergine slices with oil. Sprinkle with salt and lay on a large baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 mins until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, wilt the spinach..Cool the spinach and squeeze out the excess water, so that it is dry. Mix with the ricotta cheese, nutmeg and plenty of seasoning.
- To make the tomato sauce, cook garlic and in a saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano simmer for 10 minutes.
- Divide ricotta and spinach mixture among the aubergine slice. Roll up each slice, beginning with a short end. Pour over the tomato sauce and bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, before serving.
- adapted from a recipe at BBC food.